- Make personal contact that shows the school community cares about all kids.
- Identify reasons for not attending, i.e., lack of food, transportation, fearful, clothing, illness, technology or internet service.
- Ask if they know where a missing family might be and that you care.
- Find needed resources (food, mental health, medical, etc.)
- Use community retired educators, parent organizations, community volunteers, churches.
- Be supportive and avoid any negativity or you are likely to lose them. Showing you genuinely care is critical to returning students to school.
- Provide a short training for the team on ways to effectively reengage families with school.
- Set up a Student Ambassador Program at your school to welcome students and families.
Please provide your comments and/or experiences on this strategy.